Friday, November 26, 2010

Happy "Mag"sgiving

It has been quite a whirlwind the past few days. Wednesday morning our doctor woke us up bright and early to let us know I've been contracting way too much, so we are going to go forward with the magnesium sulfate wash.

So by 10:30 I had my 2nd round of steroid shots to help develop babies lungs (this is their 2nd round, we had our first a month ago when checked in to hospital) and was plugged back into an IV for the magnesium sulfate and fluids. I got a little hot, but most of the terrible things I've heard about didn't hit right away. By 7 or 8, I felt like I had the flu and nothing sounded good. I ate Papa Johns pizza around 9 and then the nurse gave me nubain (a narcotic a lot of women use during natural childbirth if they don't want an epidural). She said it would be like 2 glasses of wine..hmm..sounds good ( I was really worked up because the babies move less on the mag and I was still contracting a lot, so the Dr and nurse wanted me to relax). In theory, the nubain should have been great (should it have really only felt like 2 glasses of wine).. but mine felt like a bottle of tequila! I got so sick I puked all night until 4 am. I've never been this sick in my life. By 5 am thankfully I had some anti nausea meds put in my IV and I slept for a couple hrs. Whew! What a night, but we got through.

I've been on the mag over 48 hrs and will be on until tomorrow. I basically feel like I have the flu and am really sluggish and stuffed up. The babies are really sluggish too, which I don't like. I don't feel them move much, but their heart rates have looked great with the monitoring. The worst parts of the mag are feeling sick and heavy and so thirsty. But my contractions have looked like perfect flat lines on the monitor with a couple here and there, so the meds are working. So although the babies have all moved way down, I think we can for sure make it to to our goal of around 34 weeks. They for sure feel more heavy now that they are all sitting low! We will get a cervix check on Monday to see how the weight of them moving down has affected my cervical length.

We managed to have a nice Thanksgiving together...the hospital had a turkey lunch yesterday and then our friend was nice enough to bring us Thanksgiving dinner last night (Thanks Tracy!). So at least I know the babies got lots of turkey!

Our prayers are for continued growth and developing lungs up until the minute they decide to meet us!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog and will be praying for you and your babies. I found you because I looked up the terbutiline pump on Google. I may be getting one myself next week. I am 24 w 4 days, on bedrest and my cervix is 1.7-1.8. Thank you for sharing your story!

    <3 Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and if you are bored and on BR- I have a blog too :) It is www.justnormalthinking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete